Please follow the requirements listed below to keep you and your community safe before and during your appointment.
PROGRAM RULES & REQUIREMENTS
Limit: 10 Gallons or 50 Pounds of Waste per Appointment
State regulations prohibit you from transporting more than 10 liquid gallons or 50 solid pounds of hazardous waste in your vehicle at one time. If you have more than 10 gallons or 50 pounds of waste, you can make multiple appointments.
Instructions if your waste exceeds 10 gallons:
- Estimate the amount of actual product in the container.
- Make one appointment per vehicle for each 10 gallons or 50 pounds of hazardous waste.
- Make additional appointments as needed - 10 gallons each for 2 appointments in 2 cars (or 2 trips).
- There is no limit to the number of appointments you may make per event.
Limit: We Cannot Accept Containers Larger Than 5 Gallons
The Program only accepts containers that are 5 gallons or less in size.
Instructions if you have waste in an oversized container larger than 5 gallons:
- Get buckets with lids that are no larger than 5 gallons in size.
- Transfer waste from larger containers into the 5-gallon bucket and secure the lid.
- Label the 5-gallon bucket with the name and description of the original product.
IMPORTANT: KEEP YOU, YOUR FAMILY, AND COUNTY EMPLOYEES SAFE. PLEASE DO NOT MIX ANY WASTE.
Prepare For Your Appointment by Following These Steps:
- Keep your waste in its original, non-leaking containers.
- For waste in original containers with intact and legible labels, place items in boxes or crates - this is best for keeping waste containers upright for safer transport and avoiding spills.
- For waste without a label or not in the original container, please tell us what it is, or otherwise attach a label indicating what it is.
- Do not place items in plastic garbage bags.
- For fragile or leaking containers, place them in a larger container such as a large bucket with a secure lid to safely contain the leaked material.
- Place the waste containers upright in sturdy cardboard boxes or bins.
- You may line the box or bin with plastic - do not use plastic bags alone.
- Place the prepared wastes in the back of your vehicle.
- If you would like to keep your waste container (e.g. red gasoline can), please call in advance for further instructions.
- Remove any other items not intended for disposal from the back of your vehicle.
- And, avoid bringing pets, or keep them secured.
- REMEMBER: NEVER MIX WASTE. IT IS DANGEROUS.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
Staff will greet you, take a brief survey, and unload the waste from your vehicle for you.
- Stay inside of your vehicle
- Turn off your engine
- Extinguish any smoking materials
Still have questions?
Read our program FAQ, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (650) 372-6200.